Mike is one of the lead telecoms partners at DLA Piper LLP, the largest law firm in the world. His focus is on giving both commercial and regulatory advice to clients in the communications and technology sectors. His interest in the sector dates back to 1998-9 when he was placed on secondment to OFTEL, then the UK telecoms regulator. The legal guide Chambers and Partners says of him that “[he] produces punchy and straightforward answers - he’s direct and commercial, and gets to the point quickly.”
Mike is the editor of the Communications Law Handbook published by Bloomsbury Professional and was a guest lecturer on UK telecoms law to the telecoms law LLM programme at University College, London. He is listed as one of the world's leading telecoms lawyers at www.expertguides.com.
His work has included:
- advising Youview on the legal work concerning the procurement of their entire back office software platform
- acting on the procurement of a complete end-to-end IPTV platform for a European telecoms operator, including detailed parallel negotiations with 3 different suppliers
- acting on the procurement of a cloud-based end-to-end IPTV solution for a European telecoms operator
- acting on the renegotiation of the outsourcing of the management of a telecoms network in a European country, a deal worth around €500m over 5 years.
- advising on TMT related projects in the Middle East and in North, Western and Southern Africa.